John's comments from life.

Office work - mastering DVD's

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 0 Comments

If you want to watch a couple videos, you can! Just click on the link and away you go. You’ll need Quicktime to play…

The Meaning of a Name ~108mb, 1 hour long. (Watch this one first!)

Flying Truth in Formation ~108mb, 1 hour long.

Don’t get your hopes up yet, but there is a road trip in sight. More details to come later. (All that means if one doesn’t work out, I’ll pull another from the hat.)

Just an average day...

Monday, July 10, 2006 0 Comments

Thought I would record some of the day’s events - answered phones today (took, processed many orders, as well as fielded a lot of questions,) helped get the forklift running (battery was stone dead), fixed the folding table I broke on Saturday, finished wrapping a pallet of books going to Korea, made MP3 files for Derek to go on The Lamb Powerpoint. Then I had lunch.
After lunch, I worked on 2 projects - finishing off the DVD’s I’ve been working on - “The Meaning of a Name” and “Flying Truth in Formatin.” Both were recorded in Houston, and seems like it’s taking forever to get them completed. The other project is “The Lamb” for DVBS - my job is to put the audio files together that will go with a Powerpoint presentation. Not sure of the release on this project either (and if you have worked with us for a while, you’ll know that projects are finsihed when they are finshed - because we have just a small group of people that many things come up in the way.)
Home to Legers for supper - Drew / Noreen / Micah / Noby and Tom and Lorie were there.
After which I came back to the office and worked on my website - this time in the geneology section. I have a bunch of photos and GPS coordinants for burial sites of many ancestors, so thought it would be a good time to put some up.

Day of Rest

Monday, July 10, 2006 0 Comments

Went to church this morning - we studied Acts 2:41, where 3,000 people believed under Peter’s teaching.
Back at home, I received a phone call from the Snyders, who are traveling across crountry to CT - and were at Post Falls. Well, that’s only 12 miles away. We were going to meet at iHop, but it was quite busy, so we just came back to the Smyth’s for a few minutes. They only stayed a half hour or so, as they wanted to get to Butte, MT today if possible.
Then, at 1:15 (before the world cup finished) I went over to Mike and Michele’s for some steak. Phil and his family were there and we just relaxed, shooting the breeze, chewing the fat for a few hours.
Was able to get a half-hours nap today - and played around on the computer for bit.
This evening, Derek and Chantal, as well as a couple other couples came over, and the whole gang sat out front and visited till about 11:00.

Worked with Russ on lean-to roof, went to Drew and Noreen's Idaho reception

Saturday, July 08, 2006 0 Comments

(I’m at Russ and Karyn’s place this weekend - Tom and Lorie have a full house, and because they needed the space I moved out for the weekend.)
Russ made French Toast, and then we started on the porch roof. Ryan had taken down the old roofing there (plastic, and it leaked very well) so we had a clean slate to work with. Russ had the tin already, and so we got started.
After looking at things, I noticed that we would have needed just a few inches of one sheet to make ends meet. So I suggested making the roof a little bigger, enabling us to not have to cut a sheet, as well as giving us more shelter in the time of storm.Having agreed, we went to Home Despot to get some more supplies.

We were able to finish off things well in good time - by 12:30 or so. Karyn made lunch, and I had a shower, to make it to Drew and Noreen’s wedding reception for us folks here in Idaho. It was a cloudless sky, warm but not too hot in the shade - very nice. Many folks came out to congratulate them and celebrate the occation. Lots of water and drinks and food to go around! It was a nice time to relax for a few hours.
Not feeling 100%, I came back to the office here and worked a bit on learning how to run my software a bit better (instead of going home and relaxing yet some more.) Trying to get the Photo Module up and running, but I need Barney to set my permissions on the server for me.
Well Barney did, but there’s another thing that I need to address to make things work properly. So - not tonight.

Today was spent working on this and that, trying to figure out Expression Engine.

Friday, July 07, 2006 0 Comments

Barney helped me get sorted out a little on the Expression Engine thing, becauses I have my old site with thousands of pages on my old site, it makes things a little difficult. So, he set me up with another domain, so I can experiment and learn before letting the world know. But, hey, if you are reading this, then you already have the low-down on what’s going on, because you are where I am working.

Earlier today, I made some video files for Gaetan, so he could watch what John did in Houston. It’s only 108mb for 1 hour long video - which was a little much, but do-able.
Also, you know, extra text is hard to find.

Glacier National Park - to CDA, Idaho

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 0 Comments

I think you all realize that needless to say, my sleep last night was wanting. A Toyota Corolla is not made for anything longer than six feet, and so to try and maximize my sleeping potential by staying up late. But still, I got up early. Looking at the plan for the day, it seemed natural to drive back through the park and find Hidden Lake, since I had plenty of time. So that’s what I did.

Up top, I parked, now it was 8:00 am.  (Took 1.75 hours to get here from the campground - 45 miles.) Not too many people around, which was nice - because I am trying to experience the great outdoors, and that just helps if there’s not thousands of people trying to do the same thing right next to you. But the longer I hiked, the fewer the people. All in all I hiked down to the lake, crossing the continential divide twice (once on the way back.) The hike to the bottom and back was 5.6 miles, and took me 4 hours. Granted I wasn’t just trying to run it as fast as I could. Had to take pictures from time to time. It’s a 482’ vertical climb, then down 820’ to the lake, which of course gets reversed on the way back.
Parking was at a premium, and probably could have sold my parking spot. One fellow (on behalf of his family) asked if he could follow me to my car and take my spot. Easy for him, I was #2 down the row. Even then I had to ward off one other trying to get my (now his) spot. But in the wilderness, we are all friends, and there was no hard feelings.
Eating my last 2 hot dogs on the way down (noon by now) to St. Mary, I didn’t stop for anything else this day. My goal was to drive around the south side and head home before the fireworks.
Drive was good, but long. 385 miles to get home, at about 7:00 hours. I did take the long way, could have been around 4, but I figured I would take advantage of the time and high mileage and see something extra.
Made it home by 5:30 PST, and Derek called. Good thing too, because I would have forgotten to pick he and Chantal up at the airport. But I had time for a shower, supper, nap, some TV, fireworks, before arriving at the airport at 12:30 AM.
Good to see them again, but it was getting late!

Jim's, and then to Glacier National park

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 0 Comments

I had breakfast at Beat and Clivia’s before heading to John’s. He had just one short wire to run in the garage before it’s ready to insulate and board up. I did the wiring a while back, but forgot this one run.

Then I went to Jim’s for a quick lesson on web design - which I hope to take advantage of here in the near future. It was one of those hour and a half packed with so much stuff that you can’t remember much, other than the fact that you faintly remember that the software could do something like this. then later, you just have to look a bit through the help files and you are on your way. It was very helpful indeed!

And, after all was said and done, I started driving south to the border by just before noon.

I didn’t do much on the Canadian side (of Glacier National Park), mainly because I didn’t really know where the GoesInto was, and found out about it after I was way past. So I just proceeded to cross the border back into the US.

This was the worst crossing I think I’ve had so far. The lady grilled me for a while - I don’t think she liked the Israel / Egypt / Jordan / India / Korea stamps in my Passport. But finding nothing that she could hang me on, it ended with, “You can go.”

Glacier National Park I think is the best that I have visited so far. To me it beats Yellowstone - but every one has it’s own interests I guess. But this is quite amazing. I wanted to hike to Hidden Lake, but I must have driven past without noticing any signs, and hence - didn’t. Which I think was good, because I needed to get to a campground that would take me in before it got too late. I think I pulled into this one (Big Bend) at around 9:00.

Armed only with a pack of hotdogs (10) and buns (8), I proceeded to chow down and transfer / build the day’s photos.

Oh, and not having a tent (didn’t take the time to pack correctly before leaving Idaho) I got to sleep in the car tonight. I’ll let you know how it went tomorrow.

Trip to Ya-Ha-Tinda!

Monday, July 03, 2006 0 Comments

I woke up early (7:00) and got ready and headed south to meet the gang in Olds. The plan was to go to YaHaTinda and Big Horn Falls, as well as hike to Eagle Lake.

We piled into 3 vehicles - (Jim’s Jeep, John’s van and Rogers pickup) and started driving. We got there just fine, and had a grand time. We all hiked to the falls, but Roger, Renee, Janice, Les and I stayed behind while the rest went to Eagle Lake. I would have gone, but was rather tired so I opted out.

But lunch was in-between all that - before the Eagle Lake trip.

They got back, but proceeded to play volleyball for about an hour (in the rain) before we were able to convince them that we should go find a place to eat, which we did way down yonder.

We packed up and headed out at about 9:30, to arrive home around 11:00. It was a long day, but well worth it. Overall distance was around 170 miles.

I woke up this morning at 7:00...

Sunday, July 02, 2006 0 Comments

I woke up this morning at 7:00 and managed to get back to sleep. Crazy thing was that someone called right after - at 9:00! Couldn’t believe someone would be calling so early. It was Arney - and he needed the forms moved. So John and I, by 10:00, was able to get them delivered. Thing is that he wanted them west of town, and we didn’t get home till noon.

After some lunch, we both took a sleep. I got up at 1:00 and worked on odds and ends, but John stayed down a bit longer, claiming that he didn’t sleep even then.

After our short break, we took up fencing. The corral has to be built before the cows can come home. Yes, John bought 20 cow/calf pairs, and should have them soon.

After nailing as many nails as we could that day, we called it quits, came in for a shower, had supper (the best chicken I’ve had) and headed to Home Despot for some electrical stuff. We got there about an hour after it closed - closing early because of Canada Day. So we milled around town, looking at new cars and stuff before heading home.

Mary Ann had a cake made and ready (minus 10 candles) for me in honor of my upcoming birthday.

Finished Jim's Electrical - then to Wetaskiwin

Saturday, July 01, 2006 0 Comments

Finished Jim’s electrical. It took longer than expected (seems like it almost always does), finishing at around 9:30. But with Jim’s help most of the day, we were able to get things buttoned up quite well.

I headed up North after that, and arrived at Friesen’s by 11:30 or so. All was quiet, so I came in. I was weary of 2 possible confrontations, but was reminded later of a third. But once inside, I went down and took a shower. When I was done, John was up and we hung out till 1:00 or so.

Jim's electrical -

Friday, June 30, 2006 0 Comments

Up, unloaded the books at the office, then back to Jim’s. We managed to get a lot done on the electric (he is putting in his basement - it wasn’t finished when they moved in) but will have to finish up in tomorrow. John, Janice, Chantel came over for supper, which was wonderful.

Drove from CDA to Olds - stopped at Humphreys and McCulleys

Thursday, June 29, 2006 0 Comments

Drove to Canada today. Left with about 600 pounds of books, which didn’t fit very well, but managed. It rode just fine, though it wasn’t as tall as it used to be.

Crossing the border went well too. No hassle, just had to enter what I had into the computer so they could bill us the GST (7%).

I drove through the Crowsnest Pass, which was light on traffic. But it put me through Calgary at just the wrong time. I forgot about that part this time. Wasn’t too bad, but there were a couple accidents that slowed things down. I stopped in on Paul and Kathleen - which was a good thing, because they were just sitting down for dinner, and there was plenty to go around.

Upon arriving in Olds, I stopped at Jim’s to look over the basement. Hung out a bit and headed to Graf’s for the night.

From Fred's to Larry's - Roofing to Romance.

Thursday, June 01, 2006 0 Comments

Again at Fred’s - helping with the roofing. Today we finished the putting the shingles down as well as placing the solar panels. They weren’t hooked up yet, so we didn’t have to mess with that.

Moved Fred’s website over to our servers, but had a little trouble. Nothing major - just need to fix some setting - will do tomorrow.

I had to leave by 4:00 to get a shower and what not before the wedding rehearsal this evening. Nothing real heavy, but just had to run through some things to be sure.

Photos - August, 1990

Wednesday, August 01, 1990 0 Comments

Baptism at Long Pond, Ledyard, CT - North Stonington Bible Church

Page 49 of 49 pages « First  <  47 48 49


Copyright 2006